The Islesford Neighborhood House Association (INHA), which now consists of a seven-person Board of Trustees, took ownership of the of the INH property from the original “Islesford Neighborhood House Lot” for one dollar in 1914. The organization was incorporated in the State of Maine on October 28, 1927 as a nonprofit corporation and received its 501(c)(3) determination from the Internal Revenue Service on December 28, 1990.
The INHA is responsible for upkeep and operation of the Neighborhood House and in its 100+ year history, the INHA, often with help from community volunteers, has made various improvements to the building and grounds. These include the addition of the theater in 1920, the expansion(s) of the library and the addition of the historical room, installation of an indoor toilet, kitchen remodeling, the addition of a storage room, the creation of Julie’s Garden and the addition of French doors that made the garden accessible from the Great Hall. Major changes were made in 2012 when the bathroom and ladies parlor were upgraded and walls insulated and a new and safer staircase to the upstairs was built. Walls and ceilings were brought up to code. In 2014, the Great Hall was insulated and new windows were installed making it possible to use the building in the colder months. Each of these improvements or additions was made so that the Islesford Neighborhood House might better meet the needs of the island community.
Because the Neighborhood House is owned and run by the community, we depend on donations and fundraisers to keep the doors open. If you are interested in supporting our efforts, please visit the Support the Neighborhood House page.